Sunday, March 25, 2012

Playin in the Dirt... Again:)

Another Saturday... another day well spent in the yard. Today I sprayed a serious amount of Round-up, rearranged my raised beds (or the plants in them), made a trellis for my peas and cucumbers, and refreshed the soil in my raised beds with cow manure (Black Kow to be exact). I also switched out the pump in my overflowing urn  to an actual pond pump... hopefully this pump will last a while.
Here is a picture of my bean trellis (left side)
A new row of impatiens
the overflowing urn, once again, overflowing:)

My fescue is still coming in nicely, hopefully I will be able to mow the top half of the yard next weekend... it is looking a little unruly. I also bought 4 more pittosporums to replace those that died. I did have a reality check today. I realize I have planted way more seeds than I can possible grow in my raised beds... not to sure what to do with the extras. Maybe I will make a little "patio garden" for my mom and sister.

Part of my desire to fix my backyard stemmed from a sense of lack of control that I felt for my life last year. I didn't want to write a blog about how bad my day was, or how overwhelmed I felt in school, or how miserable I was at work... so I decided to write about something I love, and almost make myself accountable for maintaining my yard. Now my yard has turned into a sense of pride for me. On the weekends, there is no better feeling than to go outside with a cup of hot coffee and stand in the sunlight and admire the sweat and time I have put into creating a beautiful space. Although I still have a long way to go with my "peaceful place in the dirt" I certainly feel like working in the yard has been a sort of therapy for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment