Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sanctuary

This morning I am having coffee in the backyard with the garden pest, and my surroundings are aiding in my quest for peace and understanding during a time of grief. It is very easy to watch a garden travel though the seasons of life, and it is truly a blessing to be sitting in my garden, surrounded by plants that I have watched weather the seasons as I try to grasp the happenings of last week. My best friend's mother passed away very suddenly 4 days ago. She was so vivacious and filled with life and energy, it is hard to comprehend that she has passed on to the next life. Today I feel like we are in the bleakest days of winter, where the cold and darkness have us wondering if we will ever see the lush, bright, warm days of spring and summer again.

I keep thinking in my head " to everything, there is a season, and a time to every purpose, under heaven". The lyrics are from a song by the Byrds, in which they go on to quote Ecclesiastes 3:2. We will never know why things happen when they do, all we can hold on to is knowing that winter will melt into spring, spring to summer, summer to fall, and that all of these seasons of our lives have a purpose.

When I began reclaiming my yard I set out on a quest to find a peaceful place in the dirt. I feel like I have accomplished that and so much more. I have create a sanctuary for myself and for my friends. Here is a place where we can come together to celebrate the seasons of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment