Thursday, April 14, 2011

Weeding for your Soul

I have spent the past week weeding my patio. I know that sounds a little bizarre, but years ago, during college and before full time work, I had the brilliant idea of planting a patio of bricks and grass. I It worked out great when I was dating a landscaper... but I alone was unable to maintain the space. So, now I am trying to find a ground cover that will thrive, and keep out the weeds! Here is what it originally looked like:

So now, imagine how that looked after 4 years of letting it go after a drought. Yeah, it is really a sobering thought to look at how beautiful it once was. Oh well, life happens. When you can't water, what's a girl to do?

So now I am on a mission to re claim my yard. Starting with the upper half (my dad refers to the area below the retaining walls as the lower 40... so I guess we can call the top half the upper 20?)

My first task was getting the weeds pulled, adding some dirt to level out the space between the pavers, and planting a ground cover. I purchased 34 blue star creepers at the Grower's Outlet last week, and have them in the ground now. The last time I tried to do this, I split the creeper up, so every "intersection" of dirt had a plant. Unfortunately I planted in October, and we had a hard winter, and plenty of leaves that I neglected to blow. Now I am planting in the Spring... and have no leaves to fear for a few months.

Hope it works!

1 comment: